[Histonet] Cleaning embedding molds

Popp, Laurie A. Popp.Laurie <@t> mayo.edu
Fri May 22 15:12:58 CDT 2009

 Happy Friday all and a long weekend too!

I am in a research area where all tissue received is fixed, processed,
and embedded as a general rule but we occasionally have blocks that
require re-embedding.  Today I was re-embedding very old blocks today
and some of my pans have a brown sludge in the bottom of them that is
probably degraded paraffin as the blocks were from 1970-1980 roughly.
We don't normally have a way to clean our pans but this is something
that is not going to just melt out and wipe up ( Very Sticky).  Does
anyone have any suggestion for cleaning?

Thanks!

Laurie Popp, BA HT ( ASCP)
TACMA Shared Resources
Mayo Clinic Rochester