[Histonet] Re: [IHCRG] Semiautomated Antigen Retrival systems/equipment

michael.ho <@t> sickkids.ca michael.ho <@t> sickkids.ca
Wed May 20 18:06:48 CDT 2009

Hi Jo ....I do not usemicrowave,  these days, even if its done in the
pressure cooker, although historically that was my initial method of
HIER(many years ago), and it worked very consistently for me, its all based
on how you standardize your method....
I moved over to the Biocare pressure cooker 5 years ago for any manual
applications I need to do, and again it has worked very well......
The bulk of my work is done on  the Ventana Benchmark and HIER online, no
problems at all, its certainly less labor intensive than any system I know
of  as it also dewaxes prior to HIER, so once you load your slides its
"Plug and Play".....Very consistent results!!!!!

I think the bottom line is go with a system you feel comfortable with,
optimize your HIER methods so that it gives you the best  results with no
tissue damage(Thats so critical)......

 hope this helps

Michael  Ho, MLT
Resource Technologist
Immunopathology laboratory
Division of Pathology
DPLM
The Hospital for Sick Children
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Tel#:416-813-5950
Fax: 416-813-5974

             "Galbraith, Joe"
             <joseph-galbraith
             @uiowa.edu>                                                To
             Sent by:                  <ihcrg <@t> googlegroups.com>,
             ihcrg <@t> googlegroup         <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
             s.com                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/20/2009 06:32          [IHCRG] Semiautomated Antigen
             PM                        Retrival systems/equipment

             Please respond to
             joseph-galbraith@
                 uiowa.edu

Hello all:

Is anyone using any standalone semi-automated antigen retrieval equipment?
I’ve seen a few microwave or wet bath based systems (sometimes integrated
into full blown IHC staining systems) in the lit and on the net.  How many
people are still using the Nordicware pressure cooker in a microwave or the
BioCare Medical electric antigen retrieval pressure cooker?  Comments are
welcome as we are looking at short and long term solutions to make the IHC
process less labor intensive.  Thanks.

Joe