[Histonet] cloudy formalin in vip tissue processor

Christine I. Braaten CBraaten <@t> Cheshire-Med.COM
Fri May 22 11:36:13 CDT 2009

Thanks to all who have replied to my query. I probably should have
mentioned that we use zinc formalin in our processor and as our primary
fixative. I have spoken to both Sakura and Anatech (supplier of zinc
formalin) and feel more confused. Anatech says it's a change in pH that
causes the zinc to precipitate and that xylene will cause a whole lot
more problems than a little cloudiness. Sakura thinks the zinc formalin
is the problem. We clean the retort with the cleaning program every
morning and make sure to dry the retort so I'm not sure how xylene would
get into the formalin. If this brings up any other issues I would
appreciate more feedback. Thanks

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by electronic mail and destroy all copies of the original message.