[Histonet] Basement membrane "counterstain" for IHC?

Mikael Niku mikael.niku <@t> helsinki.fi
Tue May 12 16:04:14 CDT 2009

Dear Histonetters,

I'm doing IHC for intraepithelial lymphocytes using paraffin sections of
murine small intestines. To make counting the cells easier and more
reliable, I'd like to add a basement membrane stain to the protocol.

Is there a simple and compatible histological basement membrane stain you
would like to recommend here? For IHC, I'm using a standard biotin and
peroxidase based detection system and the DAB substrate (brown signal). The
tissues are PFA fixed material, and the antibodies require heat-induced
epitope retrieval in microwave oven. The immunostaining is performed either
manually (with ThermoShandon coverplates) or using a LabVision autostainer.
Normally, I'm using a hematoxylin counterstain (just in water, no eosin) and
a water-soluble embedding medium.

With best regards,
Mikael Niku
University of Helsinki, Finland