AW: [Histonet] rush kidney biopsies

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Mon May 11 10:52:55 CDT 2009

Thank you Richard for the input.
Our C4d protocol is with HIER pH 9 (CC1, Ventana). I will have a look at it,
maybe the retrieval step has to be shortened.
Everybody knows, that the outcome isn't worth the effort, but nobody wants
to disappoint the new clinician.

Best regards
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Richard Cartun [mailto:Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org]
Gesendet: Montag, 11. Mai 2009 17:33
An: gu.lang <@t> gmx.at; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: Re: [Histonet] rush kidney biopsies

Yes, we have had problems with our IP stains (primarily C4d) when
performed on rushed transplant biopsies.  The paraffin-embedded tissue
does not hold up well to enzyme digestion when it's not properly fixed.
After educating our transplant surgeons they are perfectly happy to wait
until the next day.  In situations where an immediate read is needed,
two cores can be taken; one for rush morphology and one for overnight
fixation and subsequent immunostaining.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimens
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> "Gudrun Lang" <gu.lang <@t> gmx.at> 5/11/2009 10:52 AM >>>
Hi all!

Until now we were lucky to have no short-processing-protocols to deal
with.
Now we start with transplantation kidney biopsies and a
two-hour-protocol on
a VIP.

Receiving biopsy – 30 min NBF – then VIP: 30 min NBF 40°C, 15 min
70% alk,
15 min 80% alk, 15 min 96% alk, 15 min 100% alk, 30 min paraffin

We do HE and specialstains ( Jones, PAS, EvG, Congored, Trichrom SFOG)
and
immunofluorescenc (Ig) and immunohistochemistry (C4d, HLA,
Polyomavirus).

If anyone have bad experiences with the short protocols, would you mind
share those with me? Regarding cutting and staining. What are the
points, I
have to take care of?

Good experiences are also welcome.

Bye Gudrun