[Histonet] RE: Histonet] xylene

Sorenson, Jon (Nampa) JonSorenson <@t> chiwest.com
Tue May 5 12:07:17 CDT 2009

Loretta,
When I was using the CBG recycler at a former employer, we had a similar incident, because the drain was plugged when the waste container got too full and the paraffin solidified in the drain tube.
Check that possibility.
Jon

Jon Sorenson
Histology Coordinator
Mercy Medical Center

JonSorenson <@t> chiwest.com
208-463-5267

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:06:04 -0400
From: "Moffatt, Loretta" <lmoffatt <@t> susquehannahealth.org>
Subject: [Histonet] xylene
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'"

We have recently had a problem with poor tissue processing (soft to cut/ poor staining).  None of the tissue was processed the first time, and ultimately, some fragile tissue did not survive.  The alcohols checked out and the processor, itself, does not appear to be an issue.  We used recycled xylene in the processor first, followed by fresh xylene.   The xylene, which came from a CBG recycler, failed the test for contamination, after the fact.  Has anyone seen this kind of problem?  We would appreciate any input.   Thank you.

Loretta Moffatt, MT(ASCP),MHA
Laboratory Manager
777 Rural Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701
570-321-2326 (F)570-321-2489 lmoffatt <@t> susquehannahealth.org

Patience is never more important than when you are on the verge of losing it.