[Histonet] xylene

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Mon May 4 10:52:30 CDT 2009

We had a paraffin plug in the waste container, which caused a
malfunction of the unit and contamination of our reagents.  We paid for
CBG to come out and perform and thorough PM before we used it again.  We
have had the unit for about 7 or 8 years and this is the first time this
happened.
Laurie Colbert

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Moffatt,
Loretta
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:06 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] xylene

We have recently had a problem with poor tissue processing (soft to cut/
poor staining).  None of the tissue was processed the first time, and
ultimately, some fragile tissue did not survive.  The alcohols checked
out and the processor, itself, does not appear to be an issue.  We used
recycled xylene in the processor first, followed by fresh xylene.   The
xylene, which came from a CBG recycler, failed the test for
contamination, after the fact.  Has anyone seen this kind of problem?
We would appreciate any input.   Thank you.

Loretta Moffatt, MT(ASCP),MHA
Laboratory Manager
777 Rural Avenue
Williamsport, PA 17701
570-321-2326 (F)570-321-2489 lmoffatt <@t> susquehannahealth.org

Patience is never more important than when you are on the verge of
losing it.

        Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments
originate by electronic mail from Susquehanna Health System and their
subsidiaries/affiliates ("SHS").  Both this document and any attachments
are intended for the sole use of the addressee indicated above and may
contain proprietary, privileged and/or confidential information.  If you
are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified
that any use or disclosure of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe you are
not authorized to receive it, please notify the sender by reply email,
with a copy to ITSecurity <@t> susquehannahealth.org <
mailto:ITSecurity <@t> susquehannahealth.org>, and then promptly delete the
original and reply messages.  Thank you for your cooperation.