[Histonet] Oil red o mounting media

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Mon May 4 10:46:25 CDT 2009

We use Crystalmount. You don't even have to coverslip. Just make sure you evenly distribute the mountant on the slide and let it dry. We usually put it on a hot plate for a bit. This leaves a hardened shell around the tissue. The slides can be read like this too. If you really need a coverslip, it can be quick dipped in xylene and coverslipped with your regular mounting media. You can also coverslip directly with crystal mount, but we find it dries around the section and creates a big air bubble encompassing the tissue. This technique also has the added benefit of keeping the fat (and the stain) in the correct areas and is not squeezed out from the pressure during direct mounting.

Claire

Hi,

I will be staining many samples for Oil red O in the near future.  I was
wondering if there were any aqueous mounting medias out there that
perform superior to Glycergel?

Thanks

Dave