[Histonet] Entamoeba Trophozoites

Richard Cartun rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Sat May 2 18:14:41 CDT 2009

This is a late response, but I have IHC staining for E. histolytica on formalin-fixed, parafffin-embedded tissue in my laboratory.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimens
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax
>>> "Stephen Peters M.D." <petepath <@t> yahoo.com> 04/06/09 7:26 AM >>>
It is obviously too late for this email to be useful in this case but I will offer a suggestion for future reference. When E histolytica
 in volves the liver it typically is in the form of an abscess. Look very carefulls at the specimen and  make a wet prep
smear of a small amount of tissue from anything that looks different than the normal brown appearing liver tissue. If you see
anything soft or liquifactive yellowish or tan this would be ideal. Crush a speck of this tissue on a slide with a little saline and
 examine immediately with a lot of contrast. If  E. histolitica are present you will see these cool little buggers, not much bigger than
 a histiocyte with small cookie cutter round nuckei and I tiny central dot crawling around the slide with purposeful motion and
some containg RBCs. The encysted forms are a bit larger, rounder  and contain 4 nucleoli. If recieved in saline it would be
 worth spinning down the saline an having a look at that. You can stain the slides as discribed above after looking at the wet
 mount.

Stephen Peters M.D.
201 847 0052
 Pathology Innovations, LLC