[Histonet] re: water pH

Matthew Close matthewtclose <@t> gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 14:22:00 CDT 2009

I don't know that there's a way to change the pH of water through
filtration.  The pH is affected mostly by dissolved gasses and ions which
aren't easily removed through filtration alone.  You can adjust the pH by
using buffered solutions, but then its really not water anymore.

If you just have bad tap water, I am not sure the cost of RO but I am fairly
sure its drastically cheaper than a large-scale distilltion setup and might
give you water of sufficient quality.

I would say the absolute best solution for good H20 is distillation.  It
doesn't have to be an incredibly fancy setup, and would depend largely on
your demand.  You may even have luck locating some used equipment for the
job in the case that you need to generate lots of it.  And if your lab is
broke most of the time like mine, for small quantities,  you could just use
a simple DIY setup.  The still has been around for centuries and really
hasn't changed drastically in terms of design and basic function.  Either
way I think it would be worth the investment.

-Matt