[Histonet] questions re: fixing in general and Histochoice in particular

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Tue Mar 24 16:15:19 CDT 2009

1. Generally 24 hrs for 2-3 mm thick piece. At least a 10:1 formalin:tissue
volume.

2. Room temp or 4oC - I've heard debates, and I've heard it doesn't matter,
but we do it at 4oC.

--On Tuesday, March 24, 2009 4:54 PM -0400 Jacqui Detmar
<detmar <@t> lunenfeld.ca> wrote:

> Hi all.  Having a bit of an internal debate here, so I would like to get
> the opinions of some of you in Histoland, please.  Here are the
> questions:
>

> 1.        When fixing with 10% NBF, for how long should you fix and what
> volume ratio of fixative:tissue should you use?
>
> 2.       At what temperature should one be fixing tissues?
>

> Regarding Histochoice:
>

> 1.        For how long should you fix the tissue?
>
> 2.       What volume ratio of fixative:tissue should you use?
>
> 3.       How long can you store Histochoice-fixed tissues in 70%
> ethanol?
>

> I think that's about it.  Thanks in advance,
>

> Jacqui
>

> Jacqui Detmar, Post-doctoral Fellow
>
> Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute
>
> Mount Sinai Hospital
>
> 25 Orde Street, room 6-1001AJ
>
> Toronto, ON   M5T 3H7
>

> Email:    detmar <@t> lunenfeld.ca
>
> Phone: 416-586-4800 x5607
>
> Fax:        416-586-5993

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 Biomedical Research Building
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.