[Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

Thomas Jasper tjasper <@t> copc.net
Fri Mar 13 12:40:26 CDT 2009

You are correct Nanette.  Waste water treatment is under the jurisdiction of local regulations from place to place.  What's allowed in one place may not be in another.  Seems it depends on what various waste treatment facilities have the ability to handle.  It also seems, historically what has happened to water in a certain regions and what folks will tolerate.  I'm not trying to excuse pollution, I'm just stating what I understand exists.

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Histology Supervisor
Central Oregon Regional Pathology
Bend, Oregon 97701
541/693-2677
tjasper <@t> copc.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Marsh, Nannette
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:24 AM
To: 'rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com'; histonet; Jessica Piche
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

I have to disagree.  Although it certainly is not environmentally friendly to dispose of formalin down the drain, it is not prohibited.  At the hospital where I worked, a city inspector came to the lab and and designated in writing how many gallons of formalin could be put in the sewer system per day and we had to keep a written log of how many gallons we could dispose of and could not go over our amount or we would be fined.