[Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Mar 13 10:00:33 CDT 2009

We are discouraged from putting most any chemical down the drain.  The MWRA
(Massachusetts Water Resources Authority) monitors mercury levels, etc. in
Boston Harbor (as well as waterways throughout the state) and will issue steep
fines if labs are found to be dumping such waste down the drain.  Consequently,
our in-house Safety Office and our outside waste management company (Triumverate
Environmental) monitor our waste.    Alcohols, stains, and fixatives are
disposed of as hazardous waste.

Peggy
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Piche
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:11 AM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

Hi All,
We have a question regarding the disposal of formaldehyde. We were told at our
hospital that a consultant said it was okay to dump formaldehyde down the drain.
I believe they said it was okay to dump 15 gallons or so a day! We are not to
fond of this idea and would like to know what everyone else is doing. How is
everyone disposing of their formaldehyde? We would be especially interested in
what other hospitals in CT are doing.
Thanks,
Jessica Piche-Grocki, HT(ASCP)