[Histonet] Compromised specimens

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 14:47:06 CDT 2009

As long as everything is solved and there is no doubt about whose specimen it is, I don't see any benefit in letting people know that is was initially compromised.
René J.

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Bell, Lynne <Lynne.Bell <@t> cvmc.org> wrote:

From: Bell, Lynne <Lynne.Bell <@t> cvmc.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Compromised specimens
To: "Histonet (histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu)" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 1:17 PM

When our histology lab receives a "compromised specimen" (not labeled
with patient's name, wrong DOB, no label whatsoever, etc) we have the
offending party correct the error and fill out an accountability form accepting
full responsibility for the identification of the specimen.  We then scan the
accountability form into the patient's medical record and include the
information in the "specimen comments" section of the pathology
record.  This information does not print on the official pathology report.

My question - should the pathologist include in his/her report the compromised
specimen information?  Presently, on our clinical lab reports and cytology
reports it is included - simply saying "Compromised Specimen".  Our
pathologists historically have not wanted to include this in the official
pathology report and I feel that it should be in there - sort of a "cover
your butt" addendum.

I'm curious what other hospitals do!!

Thanks in advance,

Lynne A. Bell, HT (ASCP)