[Histonet] Compromised specimens

Bell, Lynne Lynne.Bell <@t> cvmc.org
Wed Mar 11 12:17:31 CDT 2009

When our histology lab receives a "compromised specimen" (not labeled with patient's name, wrong DOB, no label whatsoever, etc) we have the offending party correct the error and fill out an accountability form accepting full responsibility for the identification of the specimen.  We then scan the accountability form into the patient's medical record and include the information in the "specimen comments" section of the pathology record.  This information does not print on the official pathology report.

My question - should the pathologist include in his/her report the compromised specimen information?  Presently, on our clinical lab reports and cytology reports it is included - simply saying "Compromised Specimen".  Our pathologists historically have not wanted to include this in the official pathology report and I feel that it should be in there - sort of a "cover your butt" addendum.

I'm curious what other hospitals do!!

Thanks in advance,

Lynne A. Bell, HT (ASCP)
Lead Histologist