[Histonet] Need Advice on Low Temp Tissue Processing

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 12:08:13 CDT 2009

Sean:
Considering that the van't Hoff coefficient determines a metabolic coefficient increase/reduction every 10ºC (Q10) I would increase the processing period one time every 10ºc between the temperature your protocol was designed to work at and the new temperature you are going to use now.
Lets say that you fine tuned your protocol for 35 ºC and now you will be working at 4ºC which is a almost 30ºC less = 10ºC x 3 If a given step at 35ºC was set at 1 hour, I would use now 3 hours for the same step.
René J.

--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Sean McBride <smcbride <@t> cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

From: Sean McBride <smcbride <@t> cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Need Advice on Low Temp Tissue Processing
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 12:30 PM

Hi folks,

I have a rabbit cranial defect study in which the implant material is
sensitive to 100% ethanol at temperatures > 20*C.  As I cannot use my my
Sakura tissue processor for the specimens (min operating temp=35*C), I plan
to process them by hand @ 4*C in a cold room.  My intuition tells me that at
lower temperatures, the processing times in each solution should be extended
by a percentage, but by how much, I have not an idea.  Does anyone have any
experience or ideas with regards to low temperature tissue processing times?

Best regards,

~Sean McBride

Bone Tissue Engineering Center
Carnegie Mellon Research Institute