[Histonet] Water bubble on slides

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:50:29 CST 2009

Hi Vanessa,

I have read in at least one online protocol and have also been advised by
our excellent and experienced (former) histotech who used to be here at UB
NOT to warm the slides without air-drying first.  We typically air-dry the
slides, yes, standing up, overnight, before warming them.

Merced

--On Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:35 PM -0500 "Vanessa J. Phelan"
<vjp2105 <@t> columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Quick question, I am finding after cutting a lot of slides for H&Es onto
> VWR Superfrost Plus slides (these are the only slides we have at the
> moment) that when I lift sections from the water bath ( of distilled
> water) a water bubble stays under the sections on the slide. When I lie
> them flat on the hot plate to dry the water bubble is tending to distort
> the tissue by escaping out through he tissue, eventually. I have not
> experienced this before, the water has ran off the slide no problem.
> Would it be the slides that are the problem or anything I might need to
> add to the water?
>
> I have just ordered a histology oven, this may be the solution...drying
> the slides standing up!
>
> Vanessa

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 Biomedical Research Building
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.