[Histonet] problem eyes

Connolly, Brett M brett_connolly <@t> merck.com
Wed Mar 4 15:36:19 CST 2009

My suggestion would be to follow the procedure of the old ocular guru
from the AFIP, Peter Emanuale. He taught me how the section human and
rabbit eyes. It involves using 2 water baths, one of which is at room
temp... and you should not use charged/coated slides.

Check our his chapter on ocular histotechnology in the 1992 edition of
the AFIP Lab Methods manual (it has step by step illustrations)

Brett M. Connolly, Ph.D.
Research Fellow, Imaging Research
Merck & Co., Inc.
PO Box 4, WP-44K
West Point, PA 19486
PH 215-652-2501 fax. 215-993-6803
e-mail. brett_connolly <@t> merck.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Perry,
Margaret
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:04 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] problem eyes

Please help!  We have been trying to cut whole eyes from a pig.  They
need to be nice enough for a publication.  We are having the devil of a
time because no matter what we do there are wrinkles.  If we turn the
waterbath up to stretch things out the retina detaches.  Do any of you
have suggestions?  We uses Surgipath  EM400 for embedding paraffin and
and their infiltration medium.  Is this to soft? The lowest we can turn
our waterbath is 38 degrees C.

Margaret Perry HT (ASCP)
IHC Lab Manager Veterinary Science
Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Lab
South Dakota State University
Box 2175 North Campus Drive
Brookings SD 57007

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
then delete it from your system.