[Histonet] Section thickness

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 08:37:43 CST 2009

Vanessa:
Lymph nodes for cellular details (special request) = 3 µm
H&E and all other special procedures = 5 µm
Sections for bone marrow and liver reticulum stain = 7 µm
Brain and central nervous system = 10 µm

Now a question, why do you want to know this? To have "ammunition" to challenge what is done in your new lab? Not a wise move. I don't think that they would mind if you cut thinner, but they will mind if you start bringing this issue about. Let your thinner sections "speak for themselves". It will get the moment that "by example" your way will prevail.
René J.

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Vanessa J. Phelan <vjp2105 <@t> columbia.edu> wrote:

From: Vanessa J. Phelan <vjp2105 <@t> columbia.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Section thickness
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 9:14 AM

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what thickness you cut sections at? I was always used to
cutting at 2-3 microns in my last lab, however in my new place they are
cutting at 6 microns (for both H & Es and IHC), which seems to me as really
quite thick! What would be the average cutting thickness?

Thanks a mill,

Vanessa