[Histonet] Good Perfusion...

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Tue Jun 30 16:29:29 CDT 2009

Sorry, but it is against my personal ethics (and/or morals?) to do such a thing. Guess I'll never get to work in research... But then I can't even pith a frog without squirming. After it's dead though, nothing bothers me. (OK, maybe eyes) Perhaps I'm just wierd. (oh, wait, I work in a lab...)  Like I always try to explain to the pathology residents who are trying to cram 3cmx3cmx5mm pieces of breast tissue into a cassette. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Don't get me wrong, I DON'T volunteer with PETA, etc. and know animal models are instrumental to many research programs. But I have a hard time figuring out where gray area turns to black.
Let the flaming begin. And it's only Tuesday. Boy I am on a roll!
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Chana de Wolf
Sent: Tue 6/30/2009 2:37 PM
To: jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; JR R
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Good Perfusion...

Histonetters,

Perfusion under deep anesthesia is most certainly not unethical NOR illegal,
and, in fact (as mentioned by Jo Dee), it is necessary for optimal perfusion
and fixation -- the intracellular ischemic cascade begins immediately upon
circulatory arrest, setting off a chain of events highly detrimental to
subsequent perfusion. Indeed, ischemia quickly leads to the "no-reflow"
phenomenon, effectively guaranteeing that you are not perfusing all tissues
adequately at all! It is therefore *most* beneficial to begin perfusion with
a beating heart, and every perfusion protocol I have ever worked under
requires it (especially if the tissues are to be used for EM).

I perform around 5-10 perfusions per week *specifically* to study the
effects of ischemia on reperfusion and neural ultrastructure.

Of course, you should check with your institution's particular rules and
regulations, but perfusion begun under anesthesia is scientifically
justified for the reasons mentioned above and should therefore be relatively
easy to have approved by your IACUC.

Sincerely,

Chana de Wolf