[Histonet] Signs of good perfusion

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 18:38:27 CDT 2009

I agree that the pale liver is a great sign.  However, if the lungs fill up fluid comes out the nostrels or mouth, then the needle is probably inserted too far and has gone into the pulmonary vein.

I hope this helps!

Joe

________________________________
From: Merced M Leiker <leiker <@t> buffalo.edu>
To: "Thach, Dzung (NIH/NIAID) [E]" <thachdc <@t> niaid.nih.gov>; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 12:07:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Signs of good perfusion

Live going pale is a good sign, your tissues of interest going pale is an even better sign, but fluid coming out of the mouth (or even the nose, or additionally, any kind of bloating or swelling in the animal) is a bad sign. You may not be able to get good perfusion (pale tissues) if this happens before your tissues turn pale, as the pressure is too high causing fluid to leak out of the vasculature....ideally you want to push the blood out through the the hole you made in the right atrium, not through the walls of the vessels. at what rate do you perfuse? if this happens a lot slow it down.

Hope this helps.

--On Monday, June 29, 2009 11:31 AM -0400 "Thach, Dzung (NIH/NIAID) [E]" <thachdc <@t> niaid.nih.gov> wrote:

> Hi Everyone!!
>
>    I am perfusing CO2 euthanized 3 weeks old mice with PBS only.  I am
> nicking the upper right atrium of heart to collect the gushed out blood
> and then perfusing through ventricle using a 21G butterfly needle and
> peristaltic pump.  Sometimes I see the lungs swelling up and fluid comes
> out of mouth.  Occasionally, I see the liver fade to light pink.  Most of
> the time the paws become white.  But the brain and spinal cord (my
> tissues of interest) are always white, and seem to have been perfused.  I
> was wondering how to improve this to get more consistent good perfusions,
> and what signs should I look for to indicate good perfusion?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Dzung
> NIAID

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY  14214
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.