[Histonet] Frozen Section TAT

Lott, Robert Robert.Lott <@t> trinitymedicalonline.com
Fri Jun 26 11:00:27 CDT 2009

Becky Garrison makes some very valid and interesting points below....

First of all, the point about what a "critical test" is, as defined by
JCHAO.

She is correct, in that these are tests defined by the individual
institution in policy, but not by JCAHO.

Second, the item (ANP.11820) on the CAP checklist concerning turnaround
time of intraoperative frozen sections reads as follows:

The institution must "periodically" evaluate TAT and document reasons
for delay BUT only if 90% of FS are not completed within 20 minutes.

ANP.11820                    Phase 1

Does the laboratory periodically evaluate turnaround time for
intraoperative frozen sections?

NOTE:   If 90% of frozen sections are not completed within 20 minutes,
the laboratory must document evaluation

 of the reason(s) for the delay. This turnaround time is intended to
apply to the typical single frozen section.

In cases where there are multiple sequential frozen sections required on
a single specimen (e.g., resection margins),

 or in cases where additional studies such as radiographic correlation
are required, longer turnaround times may be expected.

COMMENTARY:

N/A

REFERENCE:

Novis DA, Zarbo RJ. Interinstitutional comparison of frozen section
turnaround time.

A College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of 32,868 frozen
sections in 700 hospitals.

Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1997;121:559-567.

Robert L. Lott, HTL(ASCP) / Manager, Anatomic Pathology

Trinity Medical Center/ LabFirst/ 800 Montclair Road / Birmingham, AL
35213/ 205-592-5387

Message: 19