[Histonet] hood for manual special stains

Mark Love marklove1 <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:33:45 CDT 2009

The hospital where I work just opened a new lab. The histology department is now combined with cytology and is made up of me, a second histotech, a cytology prep tech, and our cytotech supervisor. We didn't have a hood in the old lab, so we did our manual special stains on a workbench with weak, overhanging vents that looked like lamps. The one hood in our new department completely belongs to the cytology prep tech. She has her centrifuge and a lot of other equipment in it, and my supervisor does not want me or the other histotech to share it. Some of our workbenches have small vents built into the walls, but when I do my specials there, I still smell chemicals. Do most histotechs today use hoods to do manual special stains or am I being too wishful?