[Histonet] Storage of tissues in PFA before dehydration andembedding

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Wed Jun 3 18:53:34 CDT 2009

Nick,

Where did you hear that "storage in PFA for longer than 24 hrs may
adversely affect my tissues"? The beauty of 4% formaldehyde (especially
if it is buffered) is that it does not adversely affect tissues, in fact
it protects them brilliantly from the rigours of subsequent processing.
If it is immunohistochemistry using formalin-labile antigens that you
are worried about then use frozen sections not FFPE sections.

The major cause of poor morphology in FFPE tissues is inadequate
formalin fixation. If you want ethanol fixed tissues (and rotten
morphology) then leave out the formalin fixation step altogether.

AND how do you fix it in 4% polyformaldehyde? Surely when it is in
solution it becomes formaldehyde?

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA