[Histonet] Minnows?

Laurie Reilly laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au
Wed Jul 29 01:04:47 CDT 2009

Dear Sally and Histonet,

Fish can be fun. If they are young the bones are soft enough to cut without
decal. Or if you can fix them in an acidic fixative like Bouin's the bones
will be soft enough to not give trouble.

We do median sagittal sections and process and embed both sides.

They look really pretty stained with your favourite trichrome.

Regards,   Laurie.

Mr. Laurie REILLY
Histopathology
School of  Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.  4811
Australia.

Phone 07 4781 4468

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breeden,
Sara
Sent: Tuesday, 28 July 2009 10:36 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Minnows?

I've got two silvery minnows to deal with.  One is about ½" and one 1".
I've not done fish and am not sure if I should decal them first and try to
process them whole or what!  A whole mount would be interesting to look at
but maybe that's not the best way.  I can't imagine dissecting out tiny
little organs... Anyone have any experience with tiny fish?  I'd appreciate
any clues!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services