[Histonet] GMS-Fungus on nails

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Mon Jul 27 14:00:09 CDT 2009

We always run a PAS(manual) on our nails. Alot less harsh than GMS. We cut doubles and automatically stain them in case one falls off, and we always use plus slides.
Claire

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Clare Thornton
Sent: Fri 7/24/2009 10:30 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] GMS-Fungus on nails

We do a GMS for fungus on all nails we receive.  We often have a difficult time keeping the nail tissue on the slide.  We've tried baking for long periods, pre-treating in formalin, using silane slides, with no luck.  Even when the nails cut relatively easily we still lose it, and end up running several GMS stains before we might get a speck or two of tissue we can look at.  We use the Artisan stainer for our specials.  We are really not interested in performing the GMS manually, due to volume and turn around time restrictions.  Any suggestions?

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP)
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services
417 State Street, Suite 540