[Histonet] histology for kids

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Thu Jul 23 03:16:27 CDT 2009

Depends on the age of the kids as I don't understand the term 'grade-school'. What I did for kids around 10 yesrs old or so was to go to the Butchers and get some Ox kidney, heart and liver. I prepared slides from them, took a microscope to let them see the structure and also took scapels for them to cut up the animal tissue. Odd how many kids haven't handled animal organs or raw meat. Anyways be careful of the scapel maybe you risk adverse Americans ought just to use scissors or a pen knife. Ask the kids they might be carrying a blade!! (joke, joke, honest).

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kim Merriam
Sent: 22 July 2009 14:58
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] histology for kids

Hello All,

My company is hosting an in-house science awareness day for local grade-school students.  I would love to teach them about histology, but all of the demonstrations need to be done in our conference room (thus, nothing hazardous).  Does anyone know of any house-hold dyes (grape juice, food coloring, beet juice, etc) that would stain tissue elements on slides?  I would like to bring down some deparaffinized tissues and stain them with something and throw a coverslip on (water-mounted) so that they can look at the tissue with a microscope.  I will also bring some already prepared slides (wtih real stains) for them to look at.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC