[Histonet] histology for kids

Kathleen Boozer BoozerKA <@t> ah.org
Wed Jul 22 11:41:29 CDT 2009

One more thought, NSH has a small paper pamphlet out call Histology
(hiss TOL-o-je) which has pictures, puzzles, anatomy charts (simple) to
help teach kids.  Written by Judy Stasko, CLT and Jan Gardiner, BAAS,
HT(ASCP).

>>> "Kathleen Boozer" <BoozerKA <@t> ah.org> 07/22/2009 07:46 >>>
Maybe you could use a sponge (representing tissue) soaked in water and
demonstrate cutting (ragged) vs. a sponge soaked in wax and cooled
(precise cutting) explaining the water is taken out of the cells and
replaced with wax.

>>> Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com> 07/22/2009 07:15 >>>
Try saffron, in reality it is an acceptable stain for "regular
grown-up
histology" as well.
René J.

--- On Wed, 7/22/09, Kim Merriam <kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Kim Merriam <kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com>
Subject: [Histonet] histology for kids
To: "Histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Wednesday, July 22, 2009, 9:57 AM

Hello All,

My company is hosting an in-house science awareness day for local
grade-school students.  I would love to teach them about histology,
but
all of the demonstrations need to be done in our conference room
(thus,
nothing hazardous).  Does anyone know of any house-hold dyes (grape
juice, food coloring, beet juice, etc) that would stain tissue
elements
on slides?  I would like to bring down some deparaffinized tissues and
stain them with something and throw a coverslip on (water-mounted) so
that they can look at the tissue with a microscope.  I will also bring
some already prepared slides (wtih real stains) for them to look at.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC