[Histonet] Celloidin Sections.

JR R rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:24:06 CDT 2009

Hi Barry,

I am studying the development of atherosclerotic lesions in mouse brachiocephalic artery--I typically use 5 micron sections.   Paraffin sections have given me mostly good, frequently excellent and occasionally spectacular results, morphology-wise.  Oh, and occasionally poor results, too.  I would prefer to increase the ration of spectacular/merely OK results.

I read an article where the authors describe getting better fine morphology with celloidin than paraffin.

Atheromas, like cochlea are delicate structures with fine detail, and they can easily become detached from the artery wall.  After reading the article, I can't help but wonder if a different embedding media might give me even better results than I am already getting.

Would I need a special microtome for celloidin?  One reason I don't want to go with methacrylate is I don't have budget for new equipment right now.

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology