[Histonet] What percent of HTL's do not have a BS degree?

Ingles Claire CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org
Fri Jul 17 14:37:12 CDT 2009

Here, Here!
Try getting a job with a straight BS anyway... I had to go back to school to get a marketable job and was going to go for an MLT degree until I saw the Histology program in the tech school catalogue. This is what I have always wanted to do without knowing the name for it. Besides, the phlebotomy bit makes me a bit squeemish. I can deal with anything in the gross room or morgue with no problem though. :)
I love the lifetime of learning bit, and so far I have been lucky to be able to indulge my curiosity and learn more. I essentially have 3 degrees (BS Biology w/ a major in English, and an AA in Histotechnology) for my HTL, which I took because who knows what the future may hold. Besides, why pay to take both exams? Not interested in managerial stuff though, just like to rat around in the lab. I have to order supplies and keep up the paperwork. That is plenty for me thanks. I like to get my hands dirty. (darn Schiffs)
I have actually known a few people who have worked as histologists while waiting to get into med school. Doesn't sound dead-end to me. There are many ways histology can be used as a starting place for other jobs with more ceiling space. Creativity and ambition are the keys. (and a bit more hard work) Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
Claire

P.S. Anyone about to nit-pic my grammar, I have a English Major with an emphasis in Literature. Never could diagram sentences.

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Wahlberg, Nikki
Sent: Tue 7/14/2009 6:02 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] What percent of HTL's do not have a BS degree?

I would just like to add that in my  opinion it is people who make statements like the one below that are holding our field back from being seen as a career.  The hospitals as well as the doctors are also to blame.  I am very proud to have a B.S. and A.S.S. degree and an HTL certification.  I would really like to see a monkey do my job and still achieve the high GLP standards and high quality of work that is required to get medical devices approved for human use.  It makes me sad to hear people say that this is just a job not a career.  I do not believe that anyone should be allowed to just come off the street and do our job.  It up to us as a community to demand that institutions require certification and recognize our educations.  I don't know about anyone else out there but my education cost me a lot of money and will keep me in debt for many years.  I didn't waste all that money on "just a job" this is my career and I am very proud of the work I do.

Nikki