[Histonet] Rectal cancer whole mount technique

Horge, Pamela J PHORGE1 <@t> Fairview.org
Thu Jul 16 10:05:37 CDT 2009

I recently received a request from our Cancer Center to provide whole
mount evaluations of rectal cancer specimens using the "Quirke
technique" and a sledge microtome. The articles I located describe in
depth the role of the surgeon, pathologist and radiologist. However
there was almost no information related to the equipment needed,
modification to processing programs, microtomy or unique skills needed
by the histologist. Is there anyone out there who has or is currently
performing this technique and is willing to give me an idea what it take
to implement in our lab? I would also be interested in a reference lab
that would be able to perform the technical component for our
pathologist to interpret either on a temporary or potentially permanent
basis.

Pamela Horge
phorge1 <@t> fairview.org
2450 Riverside Avenue
3rd Floor East Room M340-8
Minneapolis, MN 55454

Phone: 612-273-2884    Pager: 612-899-7036
Fax: 612-273-9124