[Histonet] HTL and HT Thank all of you

Feher, Stephen sfeher <@t> CMC-NH.ORG
Thu Jul 16 09:15:54 CDT 2009

Thank all of you who posted a response to my question about BS degree's
and Histotechnologist.  I especially appreciate the number of responses
that came from "seasoned" HTL's.  Because of your impute I was able to
convince my hospital and craft a job description that leaves no one out
from consideration for the position.  Like may of you, I have been
burned in the past by having the experience but not the "required
credentials" to be paid properly for the work that I was doing.
Unfortunately, this is not likely to change.  The success that the USA
has shown in matters of QA and QC accuracy have been attributed to our
certification and accreditation processes.

The increased sophistication of all aspects of Histotechnology and the
advent of molecular testing provide an excellent forum for all of us to
lobby our certification agencies to include or create additional
certifications for Histotechnologist to take part in Cytogenetic,
Molecular Pathology and the like.  Sure it may require some extra
training or college credit but that's exactly what every other field in
clinical laboratory medicine has had to do.  Every time I'm exposed to
another aspect of special staining or IHC it becomes clearer and clearer
that the scientific knowledge is there in our technologists.  We just
need to rally around that point and begin to have our State and National
Histology Associations to present a unified front to ASCP, CAP and the
like, for more recognition (and pay) based on the tasks that are already
being done.

We are getting ready to post a position for a Histotechnologist (HTL)
position (Manchester, New Hampshire) that will be the point person in
crafting the histology laboratory procedures and process for all aspects
of the lab.  The expected "hire" date will be in October.  We will not
be taking patient specimens until February of 2010 so this person will
not be engaged in "wet work" for some time.  As the year progresses we
will add 2 HT or above positions and 2 Path Tech (Assistant) positions
as well.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Stephen A. Feher, MS, SCT (ASCP)