[Histonet] Re: HTL

Fye Beth Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Wed Jul 15 12:49:33 CDT 2009

I've been reading the e-mails for a couple of days, and decided to put in an unbiased observation.  Unbiased, because I am not a Histotech.  I have worked at the same hospital for 19 years and been Manager of the Pathology department for 7 years.  We have HT's , HTL's, some certified, some not, some with degrees, and some trained on the job.  I have that needle in the haystack of a HTL without a 4 year degree.  She is one of my most skilled techs,  I also have a tech that was trained on the job (started as a transcriptionist for Pathology) who took the HT registry before the college requirement, and she is also a great tech.  Personally, I don't think it is the degree that makes a good tech, but having education that directly relates to Histology.  Here in Virginia, we do not have programs that offer training for Histotechs any longer, and it is needed.  We are a busy hospital lab, and unfortunately don't have the time to mentor our techs properly. Many have a degree, but not formal Histology training and therefore have greater challenges preparing for the exam.  I have a degree in Biology, and I am certified in Cytology, but that does not make me any type of Histotech.  It is a unique field and skill that you all posess and you all should be proud, and stop the discussion of which is better.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)