[Histonet] osteoids

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Thu Jul 2 08:19:20 CDT 2009

My recommendation to you is to focus on your undemineralized bone
sections embedded in MMA. These sections will provide you with the
most information.

If you do a Goldners stain you can very accurately measure BV/TV and
clearly quantitate osteoid volume. Bone will stain green from the SF
yellowish staining and osteoid red with the acid fuchsin/ponceau. I
feel the only limitation with this stain is clearly assessing your
bone cells.

If you stain with a Von Kossa/MacNeal's tetrachrome you can achieve
the above (bone = black, osteoid = greyish-green) and you can also
clearly assess osteoblast (blue) activity. This stain also helps to
identify osteoclast presence but hard to accurately determine activity
without a TRAP stain follow up.

Write me back with any additional questions you may have and when I
get to the lab I will forward you a couple of protocols and additional
information!

Best,

Jack

Sent from my iPhone