[Histonet] Re: Eosin in alcohol

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Wed Jul 1 12:51:34 CDT 2009

Jennifer, is it possible that the lab asking you to use cobalt blue is using a fluorescence technique on the prostates? We've used eosin for years and not seen any impact on IHC staining for light microscopy.

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
Tel: (843) 792-6353
Fax: (843) 792-8974

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:07 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Eosin in alcohol

We have used Eosin in the last 95% alcohol on the tissue processor for several years.  I usually add approximately 5 ml to the full jug.  It is a great tool to use for embedding.  However, we received a letter from the lab that we send our prostate biopsies to saying that it was undesirable because it interfered with their immuno staining.  They sent us some cobalt blue to use in the place of eosin along with mixing instructions and the whole batch of tissues came out such a dark blue.  There is no delineations in the color of the blue and I found it to be useless for helping to embed.  I would rather do without anything than use cobalt blue.  I guess the point of my rambling is, Eosin is a wonderful tool to use unless you are doing immunos on prostate biopsies.

Thanks,

Jennifer Johnson, HTL (ASCP)