[Histonet] just some ideas

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Fri Jan 30 08:49:11 CST 2009

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:19:25 -0700
From: "Sorenson, Jon (Nampa)" <JonSorenson <@t> chiwest.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Document Control
Thanks,
Jon

Jon Sorenson
Histology Coordinator
Mercy Medical Center

JonSorenson <@t> chiwest.com
208-463-5267

Does anyone in this group have any good ideas, either software or procedural that will do a good job of document control.
 Specifically:

1.  Controlling who has access to editing and copies.
If your procedures are in a word processing program, such as Word, they can be security controlled by user to protect the contents.  Any user may view, but as a "read only".
2.  An automated review reminder process
Through Outlook (if you have it) tasks or Calendar (which you can set pop up reminders).
3.  Electronic or online review and/or signature process.
As long as you have a procedure that shows the procedure is clearly restricted, and that shows that by adding a signature is also protected and defined as your "electronic signature" then you could type your name and date as review.  I move each reviewed procedure into a new folder for that year when electronically signed or revised.(the entire process is clearly defined in the procedure)

Example:  I have a general lab procedure titled APD-321r2 Proficiency Testing in a "General Procedures" Folder in a folder titled "2008" on a protected drive with write access to the folder limited to myself, the medical director, and lab admin.
All technicians have "read only" access to that drive.  It is due to be reviewed this month.

The r2 following the procedure number is indicative that this is the second revision of this procedure.

If I were to revise the procedure during 2008, I would revise, resign, and "Save As" APD-321r3 Proficiency Testing, then move the APD-321r2 into a Retired Procedures folder within the 2008 folder.

To Review, I would review, resign on a signature page by typing my name, and move into a folder in "General Procedures" in a folder "2009" on the same protected drive.

I don't move retired procedures forward, which allows you to purge retired procedures after the requisite 2 years.

I hope this helps.  It sounds way more complicated than it is. Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical Center
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
(215) 938-3676 phone
(215) 938-3689 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.