[Histonet] RE: 2 patient identifiers

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Wed Jan 28 13:13:26 CST 2009

Our Hospital is 272 beds.  We recently purchased the Leica IPS for labeling slides, and the Leica IPC for labeling cassettes.  We use both printers using Leica's software, independent of our LIS.  The techs LOVE them and the Pathologists and techs love the cassette printer the best.  We put the accession number on one line, and the patient last name, first initial, on the second line.  They are extremely easy to read and having the name helps with block filing.  Administration was all too willing to foot the bill to support the 2 patient identifiers on such a critical piece of the patient workflow.

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical Center
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
(215) 938-3676 phone
(215) 938-3689 fax

Message: 6
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:54:27 -0500
From: "VOGT, LORI" <LVOGT <@t> lewistownhospital.org>
Subject: [Histonet] second patient identifier on tissue cassette
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>How are you small hospitals dealing with a second patient identifier on the tissue cassette if you do not have a cassette printer/labeler?  Is there an easier way then hand writing patient name on cassette?

Lori A. Vogt
Technical Section Head/ Histology
Lewistown Hospital

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.