[Histonet] Coverslippers

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 09:44:29 CST 2009

Deanne:
Try to get a demo from Sakura.
Regarding glass vs. film:

FILM: faster and slides can be filed immediately; after YEARS the film may become loose, but only if it was placed with less than needed xylene.

GLASS: better for photomicrography IF you use apochromat high power dry objective and glass remains better in the long time. They have a higher failure rate (more interruptions in the work flow). Sometimes slides need to wait flat for days before being filed.

I personally prefer film, the net result outweigts its drawbacks.
René J.

--- On Sat, 1/17/09, Knutson, Deanne <DKnutson <@t> primecare.org> wrote:

From: Knutson, Deanne <DKnutson <@t> primecare.org>
Subject: [Histonet] Coverslippers
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 3:47 PM

Our lab is interested in purchasing a coverslipping instrument and would
like to hear from the rest of you on what type is a good one to purchase?
Also, what are the pros and cons on glass coverslips vs plastic coverslips
vs film for coverslips.  Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge on
this topic.

Deanne Knutson   HTL,MT (ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
St. Alexius Medical Center