[Histonet] metal chucks or disks that hold blocks firmly for cryotomy

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Jan 8 15:46:35 CST 2009

For cryostats that have disks with stems, we learned disks with a waffle
weave, grooved mesh top holds blocks far better than disks with the circles
of raised metal i.e. these look like a "target." We prefer waffle weave
disks for large blocks, vey dense tissue, decalcified and calcified bone
cryotomy.  Chatter is not a factor when using these blocks, but we also use
only high profile disposable blades. We get far more chatter with the disks
that look like targets (circles of raised metal)  Our Leica Cryocut 1850's
came with three target style disks with stems. We had a whole array of sizes
(waffle weave) left from years past when waffle weave metal chucks were used
for paraffin blocks.  For more, we purchased the waffle weave disks from
EMS.   It was worth the investment plus they come in various sizes.  You
have to cut the stems shorter so they match the disk stems and fit into the
microtome block holder.  We often line up 20 or more blocks for a cryotomy
session, and not having enough chucks is a pain. Time is money and buying
more resuable disks was the best option for efficiency and speed.  Some
cryostats now come with the no-stem waffle weave disks, and these are
excellent.

For the boneheads cutting undecalcified bone frozen sections, the waffle
weave chucks are superior since they are heavier with the extra deep groove
for better holding capability.  We use a different media to mount (not for
embedding) undecalcified bone on a chuck, as OCT is a bit softer than what
we use.  2% methyl cellulose (Aldrich for chemical) sets up like concrete
when frozen but is water soluble when melted and you need to remove the goo
from the disk. You can also use wall paper paste, a methyl celluose product!

Gayle M. Callis
HTL(ASCP)HT,MT
Bozeman MT 59715