[Histonet] Cryostat safety question

Andrea Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Wed Jan 7 17:40:24 CST 2009

The discussion on microtome safety begs me to ask a cryostat question ....

We have a Leica CM3050 cryostat and love it!

How are people (and perhaps only those in research do this) removing
their tissue from the chucks for future use? We often just section a
few slides worth then put the block at -80 deg C for future studies.
Needless to say, it's the most dangerous part of our day.

So what are your suggestions for removing tissue from a chuck (and
melting it isn't really a viable option)?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea