[Histonet] RE: equation problem PLEASE help

JR R rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:37:12 CST 2009

Hi Eva.  Here’s how I
would do it.

(1 mole/1064 grams)*(.001 gram/ml)= 9.4 X 10^-7 mole/ml

Concentration 1*Volume 1= Concentration 2 * Volume 2, or
C1V1=C2V2

C1= 9.4 X 10^-7 mole/ml

C2= 10X 10^-9 mole/ml

V2= 2 ml

Solving for V1...

V1= (C2V2)/C1

V1= (10 X 10^-9 mole/ml*2.0 ml)/ 9.4 X 10^-7 mole/ml=.021 ml

You need about 21 microliters of stock solution to make 2
mls of working solution.

Use a calculator or Excel to get as many decimal places as
you need.

Jerry Ricks

Research Scientist

University of Washington