[Histonet] H-QIP

Bonner, Janet Janet.Bonner <@t> FLHOSP.ORG
Tue Jan 6 12:20:16 CST 2009

Dear All,
   Do you think that eventually H-QIP will enact that we MUST spend the time to do procedures such as sectioning the spleen in preparation for fixation?  -Which will in turn enable us to again have adequate staff due to required workload hours?
    The circle coming full around after 30 years?
              Janet

Janet L. Bonner, HTL (ASCP)
Pathology Laboratory

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Tue 1/6/2009 1:03 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Terri Braud
Subject: Re: [Histonet] H-QIP

Dear Terri:
Reading your comment I became aware of your frustration, that I share. At the end your "There, I feel better now" sums up your state of mind.  Now let me try to be the Devil's advocate:

1- participating in the H-QIP is similar to sending a draft to a journal to be subjected to peer review. The reviewers will write their opinions and the author will address them. Some Journals wrongly think that it is the duty of the author to accept ANY and ALL comments and incorporate them into the article and that is wrong. The author has an insight on the article privy to him or her, and the reviewer sometimes has a strong opinion about something that sometimes do not coincide with that of the author's, so a "compromise" is needed.

2- a critique from the H-QIP is similar; the reviewers, as you point out, point out to defects and give optimal solutions. I personally agree with you that a busy laboratory does not have the "luxury" of treating all tissues "ideally" and the recommendations about the spleen are just that, optimal, but that does not mean tha you should not try improve your method.
You could set provisions to, within the actual possibilities, try to improve the ways you fix your tissue.
This is a "two ways avenue", the H-QIP reviewers also have to "get real" and you should improve, otherwise, in order not to upset you in the future, just stop sending your slides to H-QIP. I am sure that your slides are perfect "for diagnostic purposes" even if they are not "histologically perfect".

There, that is my comment and advise to you!
Happy New Year!
René J.