[Histonet] help with muscle histology

Colleen Forster cforster <@t> umn.edu
Mon Jan 5 15:45:37 CST 2009

Fellow Histonetters...any help would be appreciated.

I have a couple questions about getting good muscle samples. I have a
project in the lab right now that is working with laser. The student is
taking rat legs for this. What he does is cut a laser line into the
large muscle of the rat lag at different settings. Then he sacrifices
the rat and harvests the entire leg. He fixes this (this time fro 3
weeks) so I know it is fixed and then cuts the sample just before and
after the laser cut. Here are the tweo problems I need help with:

   1. When he does this he leaves the rat femur in the sample. So, I
      have been decaling this with an EDTA solution. Should I use
      something else?
   2. When I cut these after they have decaled and been processed etc.,
      the muscle seems to separate instead of staying closely bundled.
      This is a problem as we want to measure the zone of tissues damage
      from the laser mark.
   3. Any help would be appreciated......I thought maybe you could give
      me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.....

Colleen Forster
U of MN