[Histonet] colon resection fixation

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 4 14:31:59 CST 2009

Another option:

When you fix overnight, is that with the colon opened and in fixative, or
with the tissue in cassettes in the fixative overnight? That should be fine.

Or is that placing the unfixed colon intact into the fixative overnight? If
it is this way, then the fixative has not penetrated to the center of the
colon, so there is poorly fixation.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph N.
Pastore
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:07 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] colon resection fixation

On our last HistoQuip it was mentioned that our section for a colon specimen
was under fixed or poorly fixed. Now ...we routinely fix in formalin
overnite and the overnite in O-Fix. But there are times when the specimen
has to be stored in the OR refrig after COB. Can this be the problem and
does anyone have ideas as to how this can be avoided?