[Histonet] colon resection fixation

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 11:08:44 CST 2009

Most definitely that could be the problem. A colon in the refrigerator, although it will not be rotten, the cellular detail will be affected.
You have to coordinate with the OR for the colon to be brought to histology and start fixing immediately, anything else will affect the quality of the microscopic image.
René J.

--- On Sat, 1/3/09, Joseph N. Pastore <jpastor1 <@t> nycap.rr.com> wrote:

From: Joseph N. Pastore <jpastor1 <@t> nycap.rr.com>
Subject: [Histonet] colon resection fixation
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 7:07 PM

On our last HistoQuip it was mentioned that our section for a colon specimen was
under fixed or poorly fixed. Now ...we routinely fix in formalin overnite and
the overnite in O-Fix. But there are times when the specimen has to be stored in
the OR refrig after COB. Can this be the problem and does anyone have ideas as
to how this can be avoided?