[Histonet] Differences between WB antibody and IHC antibody

Swain, Frances L SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu
Fri Jan 2 14:03:50 CST 2009

You can possibly use it especially if it has been used for IF.  What you need
to do is to get a slide that has a known positive for the antibody, try the
dilution for WB with your standard protocol and see if it works.  If is too
light or too dark you will have to titer it (which should be done in the
first place). If there is no staining you may have to try different things
like enzymatic antigen retrieval or heat etc.  In most cases you can get it
to work to some degree but it is better if you  get one that has been used
with tissue.  The first thing I do is call the company and talk to the
technical personnel to see if they have tested it on tissue samples.  It
takes some work.

Frances L. Swain HT(ASCP) A. A. S.
Special Procedures Technician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery