[Histonet] overseas jobs

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Thu Feb 26 18:32:27 CST 2009

Hello Joe

This is an interesting question following on from all of the discussion recently about uncertified techs.  In Australia you need tertiary qualifications to work in a technical position in Histology.  Histologists are regarded and paid at the same level as all other staff working in medical pathology laboratories.  There are 2 levels of staff with those people with an Associate Diploma called Laboratory Technicians and those with a degree called Medical Scientists ( a little extra pay) generally, though the names can vary a little from region to region.  Most Scientists have done a B.Sc in Medical Laboratory Science which involves studying Histology, Haematology, Biochemistry, Blood Transfusion Medicine,  Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Studies and qualifies the graduate to work in any of these fields and I have known a number of people including my wife who have changed vocation more than once in their working life.  She started in Microbiology had 8 years in Histology including EM moved to Haematology for a few years and now runs a smaller multiskilled laboratory where she does Haematology, Blood Banking, Biochemistry and limited Microbiology on a daily basis.  The first 7 years of my working life were spent in Histology during the day and on the on-call roster for nights and weekends to do Haematology, Blood Banking, Biochemistry and  Microbiology.  Hence the equal status with other disciplines.

To get back to your original question she would need firstly to get a work visa as in my organisation (public government laboratory) we are not permitted to interview anybody who does not have a work visa and we can not arrange for people to get them.  Secondly she would need to get her qualifications assessed by either a government body or our institute
the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists (AIMS).  Their website can be found on the net.  If she is graded at degree level she can be employed as a Medical Scientist, if assessed at Diploma level employed as  a Technician but if it is assessed below that level such as a certificate she could only be employed as a Laboratory Assistant. ( much less pay)

I hope this is useful.
P.S. I always enjoy your insightful contributions to the Histonet.

regards

Tony Reilly

Chief Scientist
Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland
Level 1, Building 15
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Rd,
Woolloongabba Q 4102
Australia
Ph: 07 32402412
Fax:07 32402930
tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au

>>> "JoeNocito" <jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com> 27/02/2009 9:41 am >>>
Howdy Histo land,

I'm posting this message for one of my current students. She graduates in
August from the Histology program and wants to know what the job market is
overseas, especially in the U.K. Any ideas? What will she have to do to be
able to work in Europe or Australia? Thanks for your time.

JTT

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email, including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.