[Histonet] sucrose

JR R rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 12:27:18 CST 2009

If you work in a clinical lab, then yes, there are reasons to use reagent or better grade sugar.  Yes, as in Heck yes.

Composition, Consistency, Legality, and Ethics.

A scientist wants the experiment to have controlled conditions.  That's especially true for
you clinical science types.  You want the test to give the same results every time.  Reagent grade materials help ensure that.  Next, in a clinical lab, it's probably required.  Reagents used for clinical testing need to be traceable and of known composition.

Next, people's lives actually depend on the results that come back from clinical labs.  So you don't want to screw around with questionable materials.  That would be wrong.

Finally, Sigma sells reagent grade sucrose for $60.00 per kilogram.

That's pretty darn cheap.  What clinical lab can't afford a lousy 60 bucks for a kilogram of reagents?!

If you work in a Research Lab, like I do, then feel free to go ahead and take your chances.

But even we lowly research scientists like to get consistent results.

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology