[Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability during an interview

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 09:05:18 CST 2009

I for one always required any applicant to prepare 20 slides stained with H&E. I can assure that I selected "difficult" blocks to cut and the applicant was required to sign a disclaimer that included that s/he he knew how to section and avoid injuries.
The whole process was timed (to get a first idea about productivity) and I evaluated and graded the slides at the end.
The results were used as one of the elements to decide about offering the position (the fundamental) but I waited until all the applicants had completed the tests so sometimes the applicant had to be contacted a few days later to let him/her know about the results.
René J.

--- On Mon, 2/23/09, Terri Braud <tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com> wrote:

From: Terri Braud <tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com>
Subject: [Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability during an interview
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, February 23, 2009, 8:57 AM

>From a recent digest:
<If you want to know if someone you are interviewing can really section or
stain, set them down at a microtome during the interview process, and watch
them.>

I have a question about the following statement plucked from a recent digest.
What are the legal ramifications if a person cuts themselves during an
interview?
We've had this discussion at my place of employment and came to the
decision that it would leave us open to a legal liability.
I would love to hear some discussion on this subject, as well as any
experiences that others have had.
Terri

Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Laboratory
Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical Center

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it was sent. It may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential,
and the use or disclosure of such information may also be restricted under
applicable
federal and state law. If you received this communication in error, please do
not
distribute any part of it or retain any copies, and delete the original E-Mail.
Please notify the sender of any error by E-Mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.