[Histonet] Practical Exam

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Fri Feb 20 16:30:47 CST 2009

It is interesting that this topic of OJT/School/Registered/Non-registered resurfaces every so often, and that it still evokes so many responses.

Time to contribute a new thought (at least new to me, you know, like buying underwear at the Goodwill) (Sorry, a little Friday humor)

Perhaps the practical was too narrow in its scope. It was certainly skewed in the direction of those in clinical work. Asking for human tissues when you had no recourse to them could, force a persons hand, to reach out for help in procuring tissues. That is not cheating. I don't think anyone here would call it that either. That is resourcefulness.  I was lucky, I guess, in retrospect, that I worked in a clinical lab with plenty of tissues and resources to help me get it done. It never even dawned on me that other techs wouldn't have the same resources.

That's not my point.

Those who choose to cheat will always be around. Taking a strong moral stand against it, that's a good thing, but also a given stance because we all learned from our first grade teacher that we aren't supposed to cheat. I'm certain if cheating could be proven in a practical exam, that person(s) would not have been certified. Tough to prove though, isn't it. I'm not defending cheating, but I still hold it was a weak reason to pull the practical.

OK, that's not really my point either - sorry, here it comes......

Now, I'm opening a whole new sub-topic. I offer my apologies for those who have been trying to skip over all these registry posts :}

What I'm hearing is a general desire to have the practical returned. Great, I'm all for it. But perhaps we need to look at the nature of the practical.

Should there be a different one for those in veterinary histology than the one for clinical (human tissues) histologists? Should there be one that is aimed at those who do research work?
It would in my opinion be logical and certainly fair-minded.
The practical should be to show the you can do the work you are currently doing, albeit in a standardized way. That is everyones PAS on an appendix should turn out to the same standard for the exam. But is it fair to ask someone, especially in this economy, to do things for their practical, that are removed from their practice?

Another sub-point:

If I take my practical while working clinical and later take a job doing veterinary work, granted, I might have the very basic of skills down, but, as those of you in vet work can attest, it's a whole 'nother animal.(no pun intended....well, actually it was)

But the same would be true of someone coming into clinical from veterinary.

Back to the main point:

It would mean two or more sets of reviewers for the practical portion. Logistically this would add a layer of complication in getting started, but it is not insurmountable.

If cheating can be arrested, or at least made less attractive, by something like this, and it might actually return the practical (because the cost issue is a non-issue, as it can be made up in the fees applied), it should at least be given a few seconds thought.

I want to take just a little more of your time to commend all of those techs who did have to beg and borrow tissues, reagents and textbooks to finish and pass the registry practical. It shows a type of moxie we don't always see everyday. But it doesn't need to be that way if the practical is ever re-established.

Now as to cheating and the general moral downfall of our society......I don't want to go there except to say that, no, I don't want to go there either.

Just a few more thoughts (just thoughts and nothing more) on the subject:

Should there be both a practical and written exam for each type human/non-human/research/pharmaceutical/food science of histology?

Should one be recertified when changing types of histology jobs?

Do blondes really have more fun?

Have a grand weekend, and thanks for plowing through an old-man's post. Next one will be shorter. Maybe just a grunt or guff-fa

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Lead Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847